It’s been a busy week.
A week ago I flew out to Napa,CA for two days of discussions with various kernel people (ok, and some postgresql people too) about all things VM and FS/IO related. I learned a lot. These short focussed conferences have way more value to me these days personally than the conferences of years ago with a bunch of tracks, and day after day of presentations.
I gave two sessions relating to testing, there are some good write-ups on lwn. It was more of a extended QA than a presentation, so I got a lot of useful feedback (and especially afterwards in the hallway sessions). A couple people asked if trinity was doing certain things yet, which led to some code walkthroughs, and a lot of brainstorming about potential solutions.
By the end of the week I was overflowing with ideas for new things it could be doing, and have started on some of the code for this already. One feature I’d had in mind for a while (children doing root operations) but hadn’t gotten around to writing could be done in a much simpler way, which opens the doors to a bunch more interesting things. I might end up rewriting the current ioctl fuzzing (which isn’t finding a huge amount of bugs right now anyway) once this stuff has landed, because I think it could be doing much more ‘targeted’ things.
It was good to meet up with a bunch of people that I’ve interacted with for a while online and discuss some things. Was surprised to learn Sasha Levin is actually local to me, yet we both had to fly 3000 miles to meet.
Two sessions at LSF/MM were especially interesting outside of my usual work.
The postgresql session where they laid out their pain points with the kernel IO was enlightening, as they started off with a quick overview of postgresql’s process model, and how things interact. The session felt like it went off in a bunch of random directions at once, but the end goal (getting a test case kernel devs can run without needing a full postgresql setup) seemed to be reached the following day.
The second session I found interesting was the “Facebook linux problems” session. As mentioned in the lwn write-up, one of the issues was this race in the pipe code. “This is *very* hard to trigger in practice, since the race window is very small”. Facebook were hitting it 500 times a day. Gave me thoughts on a whole bunch of “testing at scale” problems. A lot of the testing I do right now is tiny in comparison. I do stress tests & fuzz runs on a handful of machines, and most of it is all done by hand. Doing this kind of thing on a bigger scale makes it a little impractical to do in a non-automated way. But given I’ve been buried alive in bugs with just this small number, it has left me wondering “would I find a load more bugs with more machines, or would it just mean the mean time between reproducing issues gets shorter”. (Given the reproducibility problems I’ve had with fuzz testing sometimes, the latter wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing). More good thoughts on this topic can be found in a post google made a few years ago.
Coincidentally, I’m almost through reading How google tests software, which is a decent book, but with not a huge amount of “this is useful, I can apply this” type knowledge. It’s very focussed on the testing of various web-apps, with no real mention of testing of Android, Chrome etc. (The biggest insights in the book aren’t actually testing related, but more the descriptions of googles internal re-hiring processes when people move between teams).
Collaboration summit followed from Wednesday onwards. One highlight for me were learning that the tracing code has something coming in 3.15/3.16 that I’ve been hoping for for a while. At last years kernel summit, Andi Kleen suggested it might be interesting if trinity had some interaction with ftrace to get traces of “what the hell just happened”. The tracing changes landing over the next few months will allow that to be a bit more useful. Right now, we can only do that on a global system-wide basis, but with that moving to be per-process, things can get a lot more useful.
Another interesting talk was the llvmlinux session. I haven’t checked in on this project in a while, so was surprised to learn how far along they are. Apparently all the necessary llvm changes to build the kernel are either merged, or very close to merging. The kernel changes still have a ways to go, but this too has improved a lot since I last looked. Some good discussion afterwards about the crossover between things like clang’s static analysis warnings and the stuff I’m doing with Coverity.
Speaking of, I left early on Friday to head back to San Francisco to meet up with Coverity. Lots of good discussion about potential workflow improvements, false positive/heuristic improvements etc. A good first meeting if only to put faces to names I’ve been dealing with for the last year. I bugged them about a feature request I’ve had for a while (that a few people the days preceding had also nagged me about); the ability to have per-subsystem notification emails instead of the one global email. If they can hook this up, it’ll save me a lot of time having to manually craft mails to maintainers when new issues are detected.
busy busy week, with so many new ideas I felt like my head was full by the time I got on the plane to get back.
Taking it easy for a day or two, before trying to make progress on some of the things I made notes on last week.